In this fast paced world everyone’s looking be smarter and quicker than the next person.But what makes you that much better? The way your brain works. And just like all other organ in your body, the brain also starts losing its functioning as you age. So, wondering what you can do to give your brain that much needed boost? Well here are a few natural ways that might help.
When it comes to improving the way your brain functions, there are a number of alternative therapies that can help. For instance deep breathing, meditation, visualization and many other forms of exercises help increase the brain’s function. But there are a few easier things you can do, they are –
Super foods that help
A tasty and healthy way to increase your brain power is by eating blackberries. These little juicy fruits are known to contain antioxidants called polyphenols that work on reducing inflammation of neurons and help with improving communication between the brain and the body. Therefore, there is an improvement in short term memory as well as your motor skills.
1) Apples: We all know that apples are healthy, but did you know that they contain a special antioxidant called quercetin, which protects your brain cells from damage. Degradation can lead to a decline in cognition which includes oxidative injury. Thus, apples delay the onset of diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
2) Spinach: Packed with plenty of vitamin K and folate, spinach helps increase your brain power as well. The antioxidant-rich spinach also blocks the effect of free radicals that can lead to the degradation of your body.
3) Extra virgin olive: This oil is not only heart but brain friendly as well. It contains oleocanthal that is the foe of the Alzheimer inducing proteins. These proteins, called ADDL, affect neural communication by attaching themselves to brain cells.
4) Acorn squash: It contains a high level of Vitamin A and C as well as omega 3 fatty acids. Homocysteine, which is a by- product of the process of metabolism, damages the walls of blood vessels, thereby increasing the chances of stroke and heart attacks. The presence of folate in this vegetable reduces the formation of this byproduct. Folic acid, which is also present in acorn squash, combines with Vitamin B12 to reduce brain shrinkage and damage to the nerves leading to and away from the brain.
5) Turmeric: The curcumin in turmeric is antidepressant and helps improves memory. It has been found that people suffering from Alzheimer’s have small proteins called amyloid-beta which causes damage to the brain. It is neurotoxic and forms neurofibrillary tangles in the brain that leads to Alzheimer’s. Curcumin works to protect the brain from this damage.
6) Thyme: This common spice contains volatile oils that promote the absorption of omega-3 fatty acids by the brain. Omega-3 fatty acids is needed to protect the brain against age-related decline and increases memory and learning abilities. Along with thyme, rosemary is also very beneficial for a healthy brain. The carnosic acid present in rosemary protects the brain from occurrence of stroke and Alzheimer’s disease. Sage also contains this carnosic acid and improves memory.
7) Cinnamon: This spice contains compounds that prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease by inactivating the responsible tau proteins. Consuming cinnamon increases sodium benzoate in the body, which increases neurotrophic factors in turn. Put together, the two compounds stimulate the formation of brain cell and protect existing cells from degradation. A word of caution would be to not mix cinnamon with anything containing vitamin C as it can prove to be carcinogenic.